Requirements of the Position
- Responsible for treating passengers and/or employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of passengers or employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (within their area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the TTC as a service-provider and an employer
- Carrying out the duties of a sworn Special Constable/Peace Officer, Provincial Offences Officer, agent and occupier of the TTC in accordance with Canadian/Provincial/Municipal laws and established contracts, agreements, policies or procedures, etc.
- Delivering law enforcement, emergency/incident response, investigation, patrol, crime prevention, inspection including revenue protection, detection, deterrent and customer service duties to protect TTC employees, customers, facilities and vehicles.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- As a pre-requisite to applying for this job, you must be a sworn peace officer and if you are not already a sworn peace officer, you must hold at the time of application, a valid ATS Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (OACP) Certificate of Results, or a TTC Special Constable Results Profile as requested
Strong and effective interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills; and the ability to be diplomatic, tactful, patient and courteous while providing a high level of customer service
- Strong situational assessment, analytical, problem solving and decision making skills, including the ability to apply these skills in difficult, challenging and dangerous situations
- Solid administrative and organizational skills to prioritize and complete planned/unplanned duties including investigations, patrol, enforcement activities, incident/emergency response, criminal/internal investigations, business plan assignments, etc.
- Working knowledge of computers, applications and systems related to the work (Microsoft Word, Excel, databases, etc.)
- Must pass the TTC Special Constable recruitment and established training standards including the qualification requirements, various selection criteria and a comprehensive selection process
- Must pass mandatory re-qualification training and tests and background investigation/checks as required
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain Special Constable status in accordance with any established Agreement
- Completion of a Community College diploma in the field of Law Enforcement, or the equivalent, combined with several years of directly related work experience
- Valid, non-probationary Province of Ontario class G Driver’s Licence
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
- Comprehensive knowledge of law enforcement and security operations
- Comprehensive knowledge of and ability to apply the Criminal Code of Canada, Mental Health Act, Liquor Licence Act, Trespass to Property Act, TTC By-Law No. 1 and other municipal, provincial and federal statutes relevant to the work
- Sound knowledge of the court system and its processes, and investigation, surveillance and crime/loss prevention principles, techniques and equipment
This position is designated Safety-Sensitive, Specified Management, or Designated Executive under the TTC’s Fitness for Duty Policy. If you do not currently hold a designated position, you will be required to pass an alcohol and drug test as part of the certification process.