Wheel-Trans COVID-19 updates
The TTC is asking all transit customers to help slow the spread of COVID-19 in Toronto. We’re committed to keeping our customers and staff safe. Customers traveling on Wheel-Trans can expect the following COVID-19 safety measures, aimed at preventing the spread of COVID-19.
Trip Booking Procedures:
- Customers are required to complete a Health Screening Questionnaire prior to booking their trip
- Regular/recurring trips can only be booked through Wheel-Trans Reservationists and cannot be booked online through the Wheel-Trans Self-Booking Website
- Customers are expected to advise of health changes after trips are booked to ensure an appropriate vehicle is scheduled or to reschedule their trip at a later date
- Mandatory masks for all Wheel-Trans Operators
- Mandatory PPE for all Operators (masks, gloves, face shields and goggles)
- Mandatory masks policy for customers onboard Wheel-Trans vehicles
- Exemptions: Children under the age of two, customers with medical or other conditions that prevent use and persons who are unable to place or remove a mask or face covering without assistance
- Customers unable to wear a mask can obtain a mask exemption card or button by calling Wheel-Trans Customer Service at 416-393-4111
- To ensure TTC customers have access to masks, complimentary distribution of over 1 million masks was initiated in July 2020 and Operators will have a limited supply of one-time use, disposable masks to distribute and encourage use on transit
Vehicle Safety Protocols:
- Special Transports for symptomatic/COVID-19-positive customers with Life-Sustaining trips (e.g. dialysis, chemotherapy appointments)
- Installation of protective barriers on all vehicles between Operators and customers
- All vehicles are equipped with sanitizing supplies, including providing Operators with disinfecting wipes and installing sanitizing dispensers for customers
- Increased vehicle disinfection/cleaning schedule (multiple times per shift, immediately following Special Transports and deep cleaning each night)
Accessing COVID-19 vaccinations
Wheel-Trans will be providing rides to City-run mass vaccination sites for existing Wheel-Trans customers and for those who qualify for Wheel-Trans service. The TTC and Wheel-Trans are dedicated to getting its customers and those who qualify for Wheel-Trans service to and from their vaccine appointment safely. Those using Wheel-Trans will be provided with a solo ride to and from their appointment.
Existing Wheel-Trans customers can book rides to and from vaccine appointments by calling Wheel-Trans Reservations at 416-393-4222, seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. or through the Wheel-Trans Self-Booking Website.
Customers who qualify for Wheel-Trans service, and would like to arrange a trip to and from their vaccination, are invited to apply by calling Wheel-Trans Customer Service at 416-393-4111, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Applicants may be eligible for Wheel-Trans service if their disability prevents them from using TTC's conventional transit for all or part of their trip. Wheel-Trans is committed to providing vaccine rides to the vulnerable residents of Toronto, including the elderly and those with disabilities.
Bus boarding and payment changes on TTC buses
Customers will be able to board TTC buses through both the front and rear doors.
The vinyl barrier that was installed at the front of the bus on April 8 will be removed as of July 1. Customers paying by cash, TTC tickets or tokens should board through the front doors and take a transfer from the elastic on the side of the operator’s barrier door. The plastic transfer sleeve will be installed on the side of the operator’s barrier on all buses and inside the door of Community Buses. If you are unable to take a transfer from the elastic, please ask the operator for assistance.
PRESTO card or PRESTO Ticket customers must tap their PRESTO card or PRESTO Ticket every time they board a bus or streetcar on the street or enter a subway station. Tapping deducts their fare, validates their two-hour transfer or verifies their monthly pass.
Customer Service Office
The Customer Service Centre at 1900 Yonge Street, above Davisville station has reopened with modified hours of operation. We strongly suggest that customers wear a face covering or mask if visiting the office.
Only two customers will be permitted in the office at a time.
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The following alternate service options remain available:
- PRESTO cards may be purchased at Fare Vending Machines at subway stations, Shoppers Drug Mart locations or online at prestocard.ca.
- For general TTC information, contact our Customer Information office by telephone seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 416-393-4636.
- To submit a complaint or compliment about the TTC, contact Customer Service by telephone seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. at 416-393-3030 or submit online.
- Photo ID Services are not available at this time.
Why it is important to book Essential Trips onlyWheel-Trans is asking all customers to continue to be vigilant and book essential trips ONLY to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Examples of essential trips include: attending life-sustaining treatments such as dialysis or cancer treatment, picking up medication at the pharmacy or getting groceries.
We are reminded daily by our health authorities that limiting the amount of times we go out will help stop the spread of this virus. Your co-operation will make a difference and will help keep everyone, including yourself, safe from COVID-19.
We understand how difficult it is to not be able to enjoy the things you are used to such as visiting friends and family or taking part in social activities in the community. Right now, we need to practice physical distancing and limit the amount of times we go out to essential trips only.
Until further notice, we ask all Wheel-Trans customers to book essential trips only at this time. This is a very serious situation and we need your help. If you need assistance with determining whether your trip is essential, we are here to help. Please call our Reservations Line at (416) 393-4222 and an agent will be available to assist you, 7 days a week between 5:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
We greatly appreciate your co-operation during this challenging time. Please stay safe and well.
Wheel-Trans cleaning and safety initiatives
Wheel-Trans buses that are out for service carry about 20 customers per vehicle with the majority of customers in mobility devices. If there are any incidents on a Wheel-Trans bus such as an illness or a customer coughing, the vehicle is taken out of service to be cleaned. Wheel-Trans operators always wear gloves. Here is a summary of additional ongoing safety initiatives taken by Wheel-Trans since January 30, 2020, to help protect our employees and customers:
- Wheel-Trans vehicles are receiving extra cleaning
- Wheel-Trans operators have been fitted for masks
- Wheel-Trans Division is cleaned and all touch points are wiped down Wheel-Trans staff have received extra disinfecting wipes for personal workstations
- Wheel-Trans offices continue to receive a regular thorough clean
- Employees have been notified of operational procedures for handling a customer who self-discloses that they have COVID-19