Winter (Holiday Season) 2011
A Holiday Greeting from Bill Frost - General Superintendent - Wheel-Trans
2011 was in many ways a year of transition for us. We introduced the new scheduling system in August. It was not a smooth transition and I sincerely apologize to all of you who had bad experiences because of it. The old system, which is used for all Wheel-Trans business, could not be supported any longer and there was a significant risk that if it failed for any reason we would be unable to provide service. While we unquestionably had problems with the transition, now that they have been overcome, the new system will allow us to be timelier, more cost effective and allow us the opportunity to more easily improve service in the future. As an example for those of you who use the zone bus, you have probably noticed that you no longer have the half hour pick-up “window”. That reduces your wait time and our lateness. Next year as the system is more fully implemented, you should see improved on-time performance (less lateness) and we expect that by mid-year or so the bus will actually call you when it is close to your pick-up location. Stay tuned as I am sure you will see improvements throughout 2012.
As the year closes, I would like to thank ACAT for its fantastic support and contributions to both Wheel-Trans and the community. Also, I hope you will join me in thanking Wheel-Trans employees for their support of you, our customers, and their patience through the tough times during the system change-over.
Happy Holidays from all of us at Wheel-Trans!
Happy Holidays from Your ACAT Members
This has been a challenging year. ACAT assisted staff by reviewing the new Wheel-Trans Scheduling System before it was implemented and continued to provide comment throughout the crucial first weeks. Although this has been a very challenging time for customers, I can assure you all the staff at Wheel-Trans have been doing their best to correct all the issues.
We've seen the arrival of the new subway train, the Toronto Rocket. ACAT members, past and present, helped with designing the train to be fully accessible. I invite everyone to take a ride on the new train. Share the trip with a friend!
In closing on behalf of all ACAT members, I would like to wish all Wheel-Trans riders a festive and safe holiday season.
Wheel-Trans Holiday Service - December 2011
Winter Service Reminders
- Clear your ice and snow
- For the safety of our customers and drivers, please make sure all ramps, driveways, and sidewalks are clear of ice and snow.
- If you require assistance with snow removal from your private property, Access Toronto will direct you to a local agency that may provide this service.
- Please call 311 Toronto.
- Ice grippers for extra traction on slippery surfaces can be added to the rubber tips on the end of canes. Shoes and boots with deep treads will help provide extra traction.
- Service will likely be delayed when it snows or is unusually cold. To ensure your comfort while you wait, be sure to dress warmly.
- For your safety, ensure that your mobility device is in good repair and wheels are properly inflated and have lots of tread.
If by 3:00 pm the day before you are booked for Wheel-Trans service, the weather forecast calls for a snowfall of 8 cm or more, we encourage customers to cancel non-essential rides. If it snows on the day of service, go to mywheel-trans.ttc.ca or the RideLine at 416-397-8000 for further updates and instruction. Rides cancelled during a snow advisory will be not be included in the Late Cancellation/No-Show Policy.
Regular (Prebook) Service Cancelled Over Holidays
- Only Regular rides to dialysis will be maintained from December 18, 2011 to December 31, 2011, all other Regular trips will be automatically cancelled.
- If you know that you will still require your Regular rides during the holiday period, beginning December 11, 2011, go to mywheel-trans.ttc.ca to rebook or call the Reservations Office at 416-393-4222.
Starting on December 11, 2011, you can book your trips for the 2 week period from Monday, December 18, 2011 to Sunday, January 1, 2012 including Christmas and New Years Day.
Service hours will be extended on Christmas Eve (December 24) and New Year’s Eve (Sunday, December 31) with the last pick-up at 2:30 a.m.
Service to Major Shopping Malls
From November 27 to December 31, 2011, Wheel-Trans will only be going to:
- Yorkdale Shopping Mall - Shoppers Drug Mart entrance
- Scarborough Town Centre - TD Bank entrance
- Fairview Mall - Shoppers Drug Mart entrance
- Cloverdale Mall - Dollarama entrance
- Sherway Gardens - Sporting Life entrance
- Service to other malls remains unchanged.
Please remember, drivers will not carry parcels, bags or boxes for you.
If you require assistance, please bring along an escort.
Check your ride times at mywheel-trans.ttc.ca or on the RideLine at 416-397-8000, and press “1”.
Internet Trip Booking:
Wheel-Trans customer self-booking portal: mywheel-trans.ttc.ca
Available from 5:00 am – 11:00 pm, 7 days a week
Our website has a new look and has been improved; offering you more choices. You now will be able to choose from:
- Your Favourites List Use the list on the back page if you have not already submitted your list.
- Major Landmarks are the addresses of all major hospitals, shopping malls, entertainment facilities, Community Centres and any other locations that we provide rides to on a regular basis. It is not necessary to add these addresses to your favourites, because they are available for everyone to choose.
- Any destination that you have booked a trip to in the last 6 months.
New ways to describe your Wheel-Trans trips and personal information!
Wheel-Trans has changed the terms that we use to describe trip requests and the process for putting Prebook trips on hold.
- An Occasional Trip (formerly Advance/Next Day) is a trip that you are booking to and from a destination to arrive or depart at a specific time on a specific date. You only require this trip one time. The trip request is made for the next day.
- A Regular Trip (formerly Prebook), is a trip you are booking to and from a destination to arrive or depart at a specific time for at least two (2) weeks in a row.
- A Regular Trip Interruption (formerly Prebook Exception) is when you place a Regular Trip request on hold for a specific period of time.
- Your Favourites List (formerly Pre-Registered List), is comprised of your HOME address, Pick-UP address, WORK address, and any 9 addresses of your choice.
Available from 5:00 am – 11:00 pm, 7 days a week
Our touchtone menu has changed; offering you more choices. When booking your Occasional Trips on RideLine, you now will be able to choose from:
Your Favourites List
Major Landmarks are the addresses of all major hospitals, shopping malls, entertainment facilities, Community Centres and any other locations that we provide rides to on a regular basis. It is not necessary to add these addresses to your favourites, because they are available for everyone to choose.
Any destination that you have booked to in the last 6 months.
1. - Trip Confirmations and Cancellations
2. - Express Booking (5:00 am to 11:00 pm)
3. - Occasional Booking for tomorrow (5:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.)
4. - Regular Trip Interruptions
5. - Phone Listings and Hours of Operation Operating Guidelines and Services
6. - To change your RideLine password (default password is your month and day of birth)
0. - Press “0”at any time to speak with a Reservationist
A Representative will be pleased to show you how the RideLine or Internet Trip Booking works. Call Customer Service at 416-393-4111 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also ask to attend one of our Wheel-Trans 101 Information Sessions
Can Someone Travel With Me?
You may travel with one escort at any time during weekdays. Additional escorts can accompany you on the weekends and holidays. All escorts are expected to pay the appropriate fare. It is suggested that you travel with an escort to assist with packages or bags.
Trips on the Waiting List
If your trip request is not available at the time of your booking, you will be asked if you want that request to be put on our waiting list. Every attempt will be made to accommodate your request later. If the trip is booked, you will receive a confirmation call from our automated Callout service. If your trip is not found by 9:00 pm, it will be removed from the waiting list and you will not receive a confirmation call.
On the Ramp!
Drivers are instructed to position themselves behind your mobility device when entering or exiting the vehicle to ensure your safety.
For driver and customer safety, all ramps at your pickup/dropoff location are required to be safe and in good repair.
- Ramps should be clear of debris such as leaves or ice and snow.
- Ramps have a non-slip surface.
- Call Customer Service to have a supervisor inspect your ramp if you are not sure.
Have a paper and pen available to write down your ride times and vehicle type.
Make sure to take all your belongings with you when you exit the vehicle.
Please be Ready:
Help us serve as many customers as possible. When speaking to a reservationist, please have ready, your:
- registration number
- correct address info
- building type/entrance
- arrival or departure times
- mobility device and escorts
Turn on Your Lights
Help our drivers find your address by turning on your outside light.
Due to the possibility of busy roads and inclement weather, please allow an additional 30 minutes travel time when booking your rides.
Cross Boundary Travel
We drive customers up to 1 kilometre beyond all City of Toronto boundaries. Beyond this distance, you will need to transfer to another transit provider.
Are you my Ride?
The vehicle type may change up until the time of arrival. Please provide the driver with your name, registration number, and destination to make sure the vehicle that arrives is the one scheduled for your trip.
Personal Favorites Address List for Internet or RideLine Trip Booking
Chart requesting the customer’s registration number and email address (if available) and their home, pickup and 9 favourite addresses, including the numerical address, closest intersection, building type and entrance.
Your Personal Favorites Address List is used for booking your trips on the internet or on the RideLine. If you have already provided these addresses to us or will not use internet or RideLine trip booking, it is not necessary to send this form. Use this form to add additional addresses to your Personal Address List. Keep a copy of these addresses for your own information.
Email your list to: email@example.com
or Fax this form to: 416-338-0126
or Mail this form to:
Wheel-Trans Customer Service, 130 Merton Street, Toronto, Ontario M4S 1A4