Random drug and alcohol testing at the TTC

6. Support through the fitness for duty program

At the TTC we are committed to promoting a safe and healthy working environment. Early identification of substance use issues are a priority for us, as well as ensuring employees have access to confidential assessment, counselling, treatment and aftercare services if required. The TTC will continue to provide access to the Employee and Family Assistance Program, which is available on a confidential basis to all employees and their dependent family members.

Employees can contact the EFAP at any time for assistance with any personal problem, not just alcohol or drug issues. EFAP is a confidential service available to employees and their dependent family members 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. All calls are confidential. You will be asked for some basic information, and then a counsellor will contact you to arrange an appointment at a mutually convenient time and location. If you need help right away, counsellors are available to provide immediate assistance.

What assistance is available to me if I have a substance use disorder?

Any employee who believes that they may have a substance use disorder should contact Occupational Health and book a meeting prior to their work being affected. Reporting to work negatively impacted by drugs and/or alcohol is considered a policy violation and is subject to discipline up to and including dismissal.

Where appropriate, employees who come forward voluntarily to Occupational Health for assistance with an alcohol or drug problem will meet with a substance abuse professional. The employee will be supported through any required treatment and the aftercare program with available benefits.

What should I do if I think I have an alcohol or drug issue?

Seek help immediately. Employees are expected to seek assistance before reporting to work under the influence.

The TTC recognizes that alcohol and drug substance use disorders are treatable illnesses and that early intervention greatly improves the chances of lasting recovery. Individuals who suspect they have a substance use disorder or emerging alcohol and drug problem are expected to seek help through the TTC’s Occupational Health Department, EFAP, their personal physician, or community services and to follow appropriate treatment.

The request for assistance can be made through the internal EFAP counsellor or Occupational Health.

If there is a risk that you are harming yourself or others, then the TTC is obliged to take appropriate action.

You will not be exempt from alcohol and drug testing or discipline policy by making a request for assistance or by disclosure that you are already involved in a treatment program. Employees should also understand that accessing assistance or declaring a substance use disorder does not mean that you do not have to comply with the FFD policy.

When would a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) assessment be required?

A referral for an assessment by a substance abuse professional may be triggered through a performance management meeting if an employee suggests they may have an alcohol or drug use disorder. A referral may also be triggered in a post-violation situation to determine whether the person’s employment will continue.

This is not an assistance or counseling function. The substance abuse professional is contracted independently to:

  • provide a comprehensive face-to-face assessment and clinical evaluation to determine what level of assistance the employee needs in resolving problems associated with alcohol or drug use
  • recommend a course of education and/or treatment where the employee must demonstrate successful compliance prior to returning to work
  • confirm if the employee has demonstrated successful compliance with recommendations
  • develop a follow-up testing program, and provide the employee and employer with recommendations for aftercare – continuing education and/or treatment needed after return to work.
Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.