TTC signal upgrades, streetcar diversions this weekend
This weekend, April 21-22, the portion of Line 1 Yonge-University between St Clair West and Union stations will be closed as TTC crews continue installation of the Automatic Train Control (ATC) signal system.
Throughout the closure, express shuttle buses will run between Spadina and St Clair West stations only. The TTC encourages customers to use the following alternatives:
- Line 2 Bloor-Danforth to transfer to the Yonge portion of Line 1 at Bloor-Yonge Station
- 6 Bay bus
- 510 Spadina streetcar
- East-west streetcars on St. Clair Ave., College, Dundas, Queen and King Sts. to connect with the Yonge portion of Line 1
Wheel-Trans service will be available between St Clair West and Union stations for customers requiring an accessible connection. To request service, customers can speak with TTC staff at any location throughout the closure.
St Clair West, Spadina, St George, St Andrew and Union stations will be open for fare sales and connections to surface vehicles. All other stations on this part of Line 1 will be closed.
While the TTC does most subway maintenance at the conclusion of service each night, it continues to require weekend closures to complete ATC and state-of-good-repair work. One weekend of work during a closure is equivalent to about five weeks of nightly work.
Also this weekend, track and maintenance work on the Harbourfront Tunnel and on King Street will affect the following local routes:
- 509 Harbourfront will be serviced by shuttle buses. Customers can board the buses from Union Station at the southwest corner of Bay and Front Sts.
- 510 Spadina/310 Spadina will divert as follows:
- 510A/310 southbound: east on King St., north on Church St., west on Richmond St. E. to route.
- 510A/310 northbound: south on Victoria St., east on Adelaide St. E., south on Church St., west on King St. E. to route.
- 510B southbound: south on Spadina Ave., east on Adelaide St.
- 510B northbound: south on Charlotte St., west on King St. W., north on Spadina Ave. to route.
- Shuttle buses will run from Charlotte Loop to Spadina Loop to cover any stops missed as a result of the diversion.
- 504 King and 514 Cherry will run as scheduled except for the area between Shaw St. and Sunnyside Loop, which will be serviced by shuttle buses.
The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that impact service and about alternative routes. Customer service ambassadors will be available to answer questions throughout the weekend. For the most up-to-date information, subscribe to @TTCNotices on Twitter or sign up for eAlerts at ttc.ca.
The next scheduled subway closures are:
- April 28-29 - Line 2 - Woodbine to Kennedy for track work
- May 12-13 - Line 1 - Lawrence West to Finch West for ATC signal upgrades
- May 19-20 – Line 1 – Lawrence to St Clair for work on the Crosstown LRT