Second Exit/Entrance Projects
A number of TTC stations are getting second exits to improve customer safety and convenience. Some are under construction, with several still in the planning process. Chester, College, Donlands, Dundas, Dundas West, Greenwood, Museum, and Summerhill subway stations are all getting second exits as part of the TTC’s Second Exit Program. The program was developed to enhance safety for customers and staff, providing an additional way out of subway stations in case of emergency, as many TTC stations currently have only one exit. Second exits also improve customer convenience.
Please see the TTC Board report from September 2015 about the Second exit planning process.
As part of its commitment to modernization, TTC is implementing a new Second Exit Planning and Consultation Process. A panel of third party experts created an evaluation framework to guide the community and TTC in evaluating location options for second exits. Read the September 2015 Board Report to the TTC Board and view the framework here.
Planning second exits is a challenging and complicated task, taking many factors into account and balancing engineering, fire/life safety and community need.
Effective second exits must provide:
- A fast way out of the station
- Convenience to encourage day-to-day use and familiarity in an emergency
- Respectful integration into the neighbourhood
Second exits projects must be:
- Cost effective
- Limit construction disruption
- In the public interest (local area, TTC riders, taxpayer)
The new planning and consultation process is designed to:
- Deepen understanding of the need for second exits by using public education and communications
- Broaden engagement to encourage informed dialogue through learning
The process for Chester, Donlands and Greenwood includes three distinct planning phases:
Phase 1: Develop evaluation framework (complete)
- Establish third party expert panel
- Public education
- Public review and comment
Report to TTC Board on Evaluation Framework (complete - see links to Background Reports below)
Phase 2: Location planning at stations
- Set up local working groups
- Working groups develop second exit options
- Evaluate options based on framework
- Recommendation for second exit location
- Expert Panel reviews recommendation
Report to TTC Board on site recommendations
Phase 3: Design of Second Exit
- Community consultation: architecture, urban design and landscaping
- Communications to public regarding the project
- Pre-construction information and consultation
Background Reports to the TTC Board:
Learn more about the background and history of the second exit program and planning process here.
For more information, please contact:
Denise Jayawardene, Manager