Yonge and King - ventilation shaft repairs
What we are doing and why
Starting Monday, April 10, 2023, the TTC will be conducting repairs to the subway ventilation shaft situated on the east sidewalk of Yonge Street, north of King Street. All work will occur within the vent shaft area. This work will take approximately six to eight weeks to complete, weather permitting.
In preparation for the work, some overnight activity is required to allow crews to set up a safe work zone, and install supports to secure a work platform inside the vent shaft from street level. Due to complications in the vent shaft, crews will have to work through a few nights to set up the platform. Efforts will be made to keep noise to a minimum. Overnight work will also be required for the removal of the platform upon completion of the work.
Once the platform is safely installed, the loudest noise will occur during the daytime hours involving concrete saw-cutting and removal.
Sidewalk and traffic restrictions
- The east sidewalk next to the work zone will be closed for the duration of work. A protected pedestrian detour will be established on the east side of Yonge Street.
- Crosswalks and access to nearby office buildings will be maintained.
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in the Yonge Street northbound direction.
- Replacement of the metal grate.
- Rehabilitation of the concrete and steel beam support structure, requiring the removal of the top layer of concrete along the shaft’s perimeter.
- Restoring the surface area surrounding the vent after repairs are completed. There will be a period when work will be suspended for concrete curing time.
A concrete saw-cutter, hand-held power chipping tools, a generator, scaffolding, a small crane, and concrete truck as required.
With the exception of the first few days and at the end of the project, work will typically take place from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays. Some weekend work may be required to expedite the project.
Thank you for your patience during this essential infrastructure repair work.
For further information
Emily Huang, Community Liaison, 416-473-1056, email@example.com.